Wednesday, December 2, 2009
The Good Doctor
I met the good doctor on the day my leg was about to give birth to the creature. Luckily doctor G made the executive decision to abort it. I've never met this man before, and since my attending physician was out of town, per the Thanksgiving weekend, I really had no choice. The thing had to go, so I consented for the stranger to drain my leg. But that wasn't the end of it, my new doctor also scheduled me for surgery the following day. The leg needed to be cleaned and flushed out. Once again, I put my trust in a man I've only met once, but after the drain my leg felt so much better I was ready to move forward with what ever needed to be done. I woke up from surgery with a V.A.C. attached to my wound site which, collects and sucks out unwanted fluids. Fine, but seriously, I understand the concept of it needing to be air tight and all, but my thigh looked like somebody gave a three year old some cellophane and tape and let him go to town wrapping my leg. I had so much tegaderm stuck to my skin, I knew removing wasn't going to be pretty. As it turned out, my leg required another surgery a day later, so I asked Doctor G not to apply so much tegaderm, as this time I would not be asleep when it needed to be removed. He was kind to my request and did a better job. Although there was less tegaderm, it was still stuck to my skin. Two days later, he wanted to see how the crater looked. I was so nervous about removing the sticky dressing, not only was it going to hurt, but I knew it was going to take skin with it. The doctor started out removing the adhesive, but I intervened and asked him if I could do it myself. He obliged me and handed over the scissors. Very patiently he waited until I removed all the tegaderm, then looked at the wound, saw that it was good and sent me on to the Wound Care Center at the hospital where they finish tending it. Well today, a week later, I had a follow up appointment with Doctor G. Since he was running behind due to a surgery, he told his attending nurse it would be alright if I wanted to remove the dressing and the V.A.C. myself, knowing I would want to anyway. A smile crossed my face and I thought, now there's a good doctor, I've seen him a total of four times and he already knows me. There is no complaint, I am truly in the best of care.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment