Sunday, January 10, 2010

In the Eye (brow) of the Beholder


How do I say this without sounding vain? I have these eyebrows that somewhat resemble that of a neanderthal. They are bushy, thick and really dark, and personally never bothered me. Actually, I've always considered myself lucky, I don't have to color them in, or draw rounded lines on my brow, in an attempt to make it look like I have eyebrows. No, none of that has ever been a problem for me. My question is, if I have these perfect bushy caveman looking eyebrows, why is it people want to pluck or have them waxed? I don't get it. Once my very pregnant niece was begging me to let her pluck my eyebrows. Seriously, why I ask? Why would I want to go through all that pain and torcher? I hardly wear makeup, don't do lipstick, so why would I want to remove hair from my brow? Eyebrow plucking is very painful, childbirth is a piece of cake compared to pulling hair from the brow. She continued to beg and plea, "Please Aunt Saimi, it will open up your eyes and bring them out, trust me." I agreed only if I could place ice cubes on my face to numb the area. She leaped with joy to fetch me my numbing ice then proceeded to sit on me, big belly and all. Ok let me just say, the ice did not work and I felt every hair being plucked. Again I ask myself, why am I doing this? That's right, to make my pregnant niece happy...Never again!! After it was all said and done, she was so pleased with herself and the results, "Oh Aunt Saimi, look at your eyes, see how they open up and "pop" Not really, All I saw was a red swollen brow, but I had a happy niece and that's what counts.

Anyway as time went on, my eyebrows grew back their hair and the bush lived on, but every time I went to my hair dresser, she kept encouraging me to have my eyebrows waxed.
What is it with my eyebrows, don't they see they are perfect?? I stood my ground, waxing and ripping hair from my face does not sound pleasant. More time went on and I've since changed hair salons. Not that I didn't like my previous girl, but paying over $100.00 for a hair style was more than I wanted to spend. On to the new stylist, I'm meeting her for the first time and after we discussed how I wanted my hair, she carefully asked if I have ever had my eyebrows waxed. Ahhh, what is it with these people?? No I told her and proudly mentioned that many have tried, and all have failed. She patted me on my shoulder and said, "Well, we're going to wax them today" I gulped, "we are?" Yes, it's my treat honey, she replied. I wasn't quite sure what I was getting myself into with this new lady. With my head tilted back in the sink, she says, "This is where I do the waxing, are you ready?" Do I have a choice? At first, the hot wax felt kinda good and she kept chatting about this and that, so I'm beginning to relax a bit, then RIP!! Holy Cow, that's smart!! She gives me a reassuring pat and tells me it's almost done. More hot wax, another rip and whoa la, wax job complete. More encouragement on how you can see my eyes, blah, blah, blah...and how they opened up, she too was pleased, just like my niece. I guess it's what girls do, I caved, I no longer have eyebrows of a neanderthal. Every time I go in for a hair appointment, my stylist makes sure of it....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first time I had my eyebrows done the lady thought she had ripped off flesh.

Trimmed is better on anyone :)

I like the new layout.

Susi Daw said...

Ha!.. That is funny how everyone wants to "style" your eyebrows. I love getting my eyebrows waxed, I'm just to cheap to pay for it. So I wait and get them done once a year when i see my sister-in-law in Utah. It's a glorious day when I do. :)

BTW: Love, Love, Love the new look of the blog!

Destiny said...

Thanks, I needed a good laugh! I hate having my eyebrows done.

Mary said...

You are funny! Neanderthal eyebrows are perfect. Ha!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Officer J1402 said...

Thanks for the eyebrow. I have to maintain my to make that word plural. I just run amy electric shaver over the middle (thanks for the idea george). If the myth is true, the one where hair grows thicker after one shaves... I'm in alot of trouble.

Unknown said...

I feel your pain Saimi! I'm glad you stood your ground for so long! I tweezed for many years and now they aren't so bad because there's not as much as there use to be! If you think getting your eyebrows waxed is hard try a bikini wax!