Thursday, November 18, 2010

Mr. Clean takes the heat

                                                         
As I was walking down the hall I over heard a conversation between the principal and the custodian regarding our room. The heating system in our classroom is unbearable. It is much hotter than the register shows and we have been complaining about it ever since we moved into that class. Mr. Clean, our custodian, looks up the temperature on the computer, in which it shows 70 degrees. Since that's what the computer is indicating, then in his mind, that's what the temperature is.

After much complaining, we brought in our own thermometer to prove it is in fact much hotter than the 70 degree reading. Ours shows 76 degrees. Tack that on with dancing and continual movement you can imagine the sweat dripping from our bodies.

Mr. Clean thinks otherwise and ignores our complaint.
 
 Since we weren't getting anywhere with the custodian, we took our complaint to the principal. He came in and evaluated our room and without even reading our thermometer, he could feel the heat. Out of curiosity he looked at the thermometer and agreed it is definitely what it says it is.

So I'm walking down the hall and I hear:

Principal: "Mr. Clean, you're gonna have to put in a work order to check the thermometer because it's not registering correctly in room 17."

Man to man Mr. Clean replies: "Don't you think the real problem is there are so many woman in that room?"

Translation: Don't you think the real problem is because the room is full of menopausal woman who are always complaining about it being hot because in actuality, they are just having hot flashes?

Can you believe this guy? Maybe we're a tad bit hormonal but we're not stupid. We know the difference between internal body heat and external room temperature.

Anyway, I'm walking down the hall and once I round the corner, I slow my pace so I can hear the principals response.

Being the wiser of the two Mr.Principal says: "No, I disagree. I've been in their room and their thermometer is reading 76 degrees, it is  hot in there. We have been dealing with this for two years now, before the preschool. I need you to submit a work order and have it checked out."

Later in the day Mr. Clean comes into our room with a district person to evaluate the temperature. They both take a look at our thermometer and agree, without saying, ours is a piece of crap and it no where compares to the schools thermometer. What they do have the audacity to tell us is, our type of thermometer is not very accurate.

Remember in reality, we're just a bunch of women having hot flashes.

To humor us and to stay in the good graces of the principal, they decided to adjust the schools thermometer down a few notches to see if it would make a difference.

Good plan Mr. Clean

19 comments:

the fowlers said...

wow, sexism and ageism all in one cute little bundle!
i love when somebody who doesn't actually work in the room tells you that nothing is wrong. it's like when managers come up with procedures for things that they never actually do.

Lisa @ Pulsipher Page said...

That's Crazy! You can't have an overly hot classroom and have it not effect the children too. I hope it gets resolved.

Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide said...

Excuse me while I blow my stack.. WHAT? Oh Man... that would have me HOT alright. Our family business (my father and I) is heating and air conditioning. Sounds to me like a professional needs to be called in. We have these instruments that have a little trigger on them. Its infrared. You point, shoot, and it will tell you the temp. of ANYTHING in the room, including you ladies. Men!

Anonymous said...

Men have no clue what hormones can do to us. I would have brought in every fan imaginable and create a wind storm, kids would have loved it.

Kristina P. said...

I think I would have kicked him in the crotch with my stiletto heels. Wow.

TisforTonya said...

I might have decided to make things just a little hotter in there had I been visiting. Hormones Shmormones - let's see what our little piece of junk thermometer tells us about your temperature Mr Clean...

Laura said...

OMG!!!! Unelievable that this kind of man-crap still exists. You should have thrown the thermometer at his head to knock some sense into him. At least the principal had more brains.

Rachel said...

No way!!!

You'd think that if he truly believed you were all a bunch of menopausal women, then it wouldn't be wise to agitate y'all! hee hee!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Wow, I'm thinking Mr Clean might need to be a bit cautious...........
He may find a lump of coal in his stocking or even worse a room full of menopausal women to make him come in the room to sweat with them.

Kinda was rude I think.

Sandra said...

Good plan indeed! I can't even believe people sometimes...stupid Mr. Clean.

Amy said...

ha ha ha!! This is great!
I'm always having to ask "is it hot in here or is it just me?"
With my little bun in the oven, I never get cold. It's awesome.
But also no fun if the temperature hits over 80 degrees. Yeah. You can imagine how fun Arizona summertime was.

Glad you could finally get your voice heard! Is Mr. Clean his real name? I bet the real Mr. Clean would not have put up such a stink.

Unknown said...

Stopping by from Simple Elegance. Love your blog! I'm your newest follower. ;) Thanks again for the comment! :)

Felicity @ Simple Elegance

Anony said...

The things that men have the guts to say, seriously! What a fun post to read though. I love a good chuckle every now and then and you just hit the spot tonight. :)

Anonymous said...

So since the guy is turning down the temp in the whole school, someone is going to complain it is cold, right? LOL

ERGH! Well, such bad Karma might trigger some low testoterone in the guy - then see how he feels about 76 degrees.

visiting from MMB

Mary said...

Doesn't he know not to mess with a bunch of hormonal, hot flashing women???!

Laura Marchant said...

How rude.

lesa said...

I have a question for you ---

You mentioned on my Christmas musical memories post that your son was involved with performing in a Stake Christmas show??

Can you write me and tell me a little about it. I'm a new Stake Music chairman and it is too late to do something this year, but just wondering what that was... if you get a minute.

And too funny about Mr. Clean. (sorry for laughing)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Unknown said...

I would just walk up to him and fling your sweat all over his face. Maybe then he'd adjust it no matter what. Men!

Amy said...

Mr. Clean has a lot to learn. Sadly, I doubt that is going to happen. I hope you experience a much cooler classroom. I think it's easier to teach and dress in layers than experience too much heat! Best wishes!