Thursday, March 17, 2011

To serve and protect

                                                                            
Police officers risk their lives daily for the welfare of the community. We depend on them to protect our lives and property. We expect them to maintain peace, safety and order.

So technically speaking, when I see an officer of the law sitting in his car or behind me as I'm driving down the road, I should be thinking, "Boy I sure feel safe knowing a policeman is in the mist."

But what I'm really thinking is, "Oh crap!" and I immediately look at my speedometer. My heart rate escalates and I start sweating. Then I'm thinking, "Please just turn, don't follow me, don't follow me. " @$#%# he's following me!"

Why is that?

Do you suppose it's because I was racing to my in-laws in the middle of the night after they returned home from vacation with my two very young little boys? They said they could spend the night since they were already sleeping. But I missed them too much. I needed them home.

The officer was understanding, even though I didn't pull over until I was at their house, I had to see the boys first before giving the policeman my information. He didn't ticket me and froze when I gave him a hug of gratitude.

Or do you think it's because I was pulled over for speeding because my third child would not stay in his car seat and was Houdini-ing his way out. The louder he cried the faster I wanted to get where I was going.

I did get a ticket for speeding but was spared the one for not having my child buckled. Yes, Houdini had wiggled his way out of his seat when the kind officer saw him as he peeked through the window.

Officer acting all officer like, "Why isn't your child buckled up?"

Me in a state of hysteria, "Because that's why I was speeding in the first place! You take him, you try to keep him buckled. He won't stay in his seat! He wants to be like his brothers and sit in a booster seat!"

Officer wanting to escape the crazy lady, handed me the reduced speeding ticket and took off. Can you believe he left without my child? Did he think I was kidding?

Or could it be when I crossed a double yellow line to get in the turn lane on my way to my sons guitar lesson.
I kinda went around a cop in the process. He said crossing over a double yellow line is illegal. Ok whatever,
but waiting for him to do the cop thing was making us late. I don't think he appreciated me approaching his window, but you see, I needed to know how long this was going to take.

Since he was planning on giving me a ticket I had my son get out of the car with his guitar and start walking to his lesson, which was just a block away.

The officer took pity on the boy and gave me a warning.
 
I'll spare you  the rest of the stories but at least now you'll understand why I'm so paranoid and my heart skips a beat every time I see a cop.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you have some good ones. I did get out of a ticket once, when I explained that my 2yr old was seemingly choking in his car seat, but, the cop looked back, and said, he seems fine now. But he was nice and let me go.

I am planning to go get my ticket signed off for the license plate, dark windows,etc today by the sheriff's office. I hope he is nice, and does not think my window is too dark, you can see through it and when my daughter in law got the ticket it was late at night. But my heart is beating already.

Great writing!

Anonymous said...

That is all very funny and I have stories I could share with you too. My SIL is a policeman, needless to say, my perspective has changed! :D

Rachel said...

Eek!

Sorry, but I gotta go with the law on this - my post today would just be too ironic if not, ;)

Plus I kinda sorta work for law enforcement, and that's one of our club rules... gotta back eachother up!

I got one ticket that I absolutely disagreed with (the school zone light came on WHILE I was in the zone), but for the most part, they'll be the first on scene when you really need them.

Though your stories did give me a chuckle...!

F e l i c i t y said...

Haha! I know what you mean. . . .

This comment really made me laugh - especially at 2:46 in the AM.

f e l i c i t y ☂, at
· · · s i m p l e {&} e l e g a n t · · ·

Nat said...

You've certainly had a few brushes with the law!
I've been stopped by a police officer for driving at night without my lights on... it WAS in a town centre with street lights :-)
I too get anxious when a police car is behind me.... immediately check speedometer even if I'm crawling along.

Kristina P. said...

It's so true! We have paramedic plates on my car, that my husband thinks makes us impervious to tickets. Yeah, a $90 ticket later, I kicked him in the man tonsils.

Tracey said...

LOL
You have had your share of police issues. I like the story of your son climbing out of his car seat, so you drove faster to cut down on the time he was in danger. HA HA It sounds legitimate to me. :)

Connie said...

I ran a stop sign and nearly hit a Sheriff's patrol car and didn't even get a ticket. Luck was on my side that day.
I am with you, I still start sweating if a police car is behind me for any length of time.

Melissa: Write it in Lipstick said...

I feel the same way, I dont have nearly as amazingly funny stories as you but I do have to say you are so brave. I usually cry. hahahaha

Write it in Lipstick

tammy said...

This made me laugh. I've only had one speeding ticket (knocking on wood) but too many close calls. The most recent one nearly gave me a heart attack. I had just gone speeding around a bunch of slow cars, and an undercover cop comes roaring up the side. Luckily he was off to something more important because I had been going 68 in a 45! I couldn't help it, I was in my husband's Camaro and that thing just begs to go fast. I'm always thinking up excuses just in case I get pulled over. Is it bad if I ask my next door neighbor policeman some tips on how to get out of them?

Emmy said...

Holy cow I would be paranoid too. And man you have guts, I don't think I could ever go up to the cops window or would have kept driving until I got to the house. I have been pulled over once-it was my first week of work as a foster care worker. I was driving a state vehicle with my boss in the car. Yeah.. not fun

Anonymous said...

haha. I know the feeling. I have 2 stories about cops on my blog, and one of them involves me peeing on the side of the road... (that one comes with a fun little pic on the right hand column). Good times. I completely relate. Enjoyed the post. You exercising lately? :)

Anonymous said...

The way you told this is so funny. Sorry you got a ticket though. Enjoy your boys. Hugs

Debbie said...

You do have some good stories - and explanations:)

Vanessa said...

Hahahaha. I love this. its the same thought I have. Maybe it's because I have my fair share of crazy stories with cops. Like... when I got a ticket for running a stop sign. And I told him the sign said STOP not PARK. Yup that will make a cop angry real quick.

W.C.Camp said...

Ha - I always tap my brakes when I see a cop even if I am going BELOW the speed limit? Weird huh? W.C.C.

Anonymous said...

i have exactly this problem, i always slow down and then i realise actually doing 5mph in a 30 probably makes me look more suspicious!

Janiece said...

hehheeee...
at least you have had some good reasons...
mine is...oh yea I am sure I was going AT LEAST that fast :o)

Jenny Lynn said...

LOL... I thought I was the only one who felt that way. I am only going to admit this one time. Over the past few years, I have gotten one ticket a year. One year hubby and I had date night at traffic school. There is nothing like holding hands while an officer ask why your there.

Cathy Kennedy said...

We escaped any wild accounts as you painted in my head with your kid wiggly free from his car seat. For the most part, ours acted like they had swallowed a bottle of sedatives. Of course that changed as soon as they hit their teen years. This is all funny stuff and maybe one day, you can laugh about it, too.

~Cathy Kennedy, Children's Author
The Tale of Ole Green Eyes

Read today’s posts:
It’s Spring Time, Can You Feel It?
Cyber Party Monday

wendy said...

Oh my gosh, those stories had me giggling. I can see it all now "YOU TAKE HIM"......not supposed to threaten a cop ya know.

I remember my very first ticket (only had one in my whole life....not a good driver, just not been caught) it was for turning left on a Red light --Duh, was not, it was yellowish/red......and then I pulled over and cryed.
what a wuse I am

thrasherswife said...

so cute! thanks for visiting my blog and introducing me to yours!

Utah Mom said...

Such funny stories. My second child was a baby houdini. I could not keep her confined in her carseat. It was so stressful knowing that my baby was climbing out in the back seat. I hated driving any where with her.

Fortunately I haven't been pulled over since I became a mom. I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

TisforTonya said...

On my drive up North I flew past a cop on the side of the road - SLAMMED on my brakes - and then realized, oh wait, I wasn't speeding... he probably had a good laugh at my expense :)