"Let's go for a walk boys!" Then it begins. If you want to know what that's about read it Here.
Little did they know, their walk would start with a car ride. Yep, this was not their ordinary stroll around the block walk, they were going on a hike. Archie's first to be exact.
Don't judge us. I realize Archie is three and he's never set foot on a trail but it's hard enough to walk a blind Beagle, let alone a Schnauzer who tugs and pulls on the other leashes and a terrier who hops and jumps about. Trust me it's not an easy task. If you've read the above post you'll fully understand.
What makes this particular hike doable is the divide and conquer method. The husband was in charge of Archie, I had Oskar, my Miniature Schnauzer and our son who is home for the summer, walked his dog Jimmy.
| The husband and his Beagle |
| Me and Oskar |
| Jimmy and his boy |
The dogs were caught of guard as we unloaded which made putting on their leashes rather easy. Oskar was too busy checking out his surroundings to play 'tug and pull,' OK so maybe just a little, he can't help himself really.
Jimmy was anxious to start marking his territory and Archie, well..... he was way out of his comfort zone. Different smells, the ground was rocky and I'm sure being blind, made his new adventure down right confusing. Instead of trotting in front baying like a crazed hound he trailed behind his dad taking each step with caution.
The husband proved to be a perfect seeing eye person for his disabled pup. By shuffling his feet in the gravel, Archie learned to follow with confidence. It wasn't long before he was walking at a normal pace instead of lagging behind pulling on the leash.
All in all it turned out to be a successful hike, one we actually might attempt again and this time, I'll be sure to bring a tissue.
17 comments:
"seeing eye person"...that is cute.
What a great day to be able to get out and walk your dogs. I know it must have made you HAPPY
I never thought that walking the dogs would be so complicated but by the look of it you all did a great job and everyone is happy. JB
What a great post- and thank you for letting us enjoy it with you!
Aww....cute little doggies. Whenever I try and take my Maltese for a walk, he sits his little butt down and refuses to be led on the leash. So I end up carrying him. He cracks me up.
Taking the dogs for a walk prooved to be more-than-a-one-person adventure. Aren't you glad that the weather is improving so you can acutally enjoy the outdoors?
Good job Archie, he is a brave little beagle.
I am so impressed. I had no idea that you had a blind dog. You also have a Schnauzer; which is my favorite breed. I struggle taking my two dogs out together. I cannot imaging three dogs....wow! You rock lady!
Hi Saime!
I love that story! I can truly identify, as I have a blind granddaughter - who is very afraid to walk on unsteady and rocky paths! I'm so glad you took Archie for a walk . . . I know that he will want to go again, and again!
Hugs,
Barb
It sounds like taking three people for the three dogs is a good idea. I liked the picture with the tangled leashes though. I'm glad you went and that it was a successful walk!
Oh Archie is so cute! So awesome Archie got to enjoy he walk in the end. I used to dread takin my one dog on a walk as she always pulled on the leash
Looks like everyone had a good time. We are ready to add a new pup to our family. We are hoping to find a female yellow lab. Our last dog Brinkley was a y-lab mix and he was a such a good dog. We miss him.
I loved your horse photos from the last post. We had a horse for awhile during our time at one duty station at Mare Island. We borrowed her for a few years from a family member. She was an Arabian / Appaloosa named Snow Jazz.
Such gorgeous dogs! Sounds like a very successful hike was had by all... and hopefully soon to be repeated :-)
Ha! Love the picture with the tangled leashes. I bet you all had fun, though. I know you are happy to have your son home for the summer!
How cute! Saw the little Schnauzer and just grinned as I have a little black mini Schnauzer who is the light of our life!
Thanks so much for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)
Sweet puppies! They are lucky to have you. You clearly love them deeply.
In addition, you look great! :)
Beautiful sweet doggies.
I'm afraid I'd be doing good to get me on the trail, much less keep dogs in check.
Looks like a gorgeous day.
You made me all snuffly. I just had to take care of my mare's abcess, which required her allowing me to handle something that HURT on her. Such an amazing thing when you have an animal that loves and trusts you. And obviously Archie is that... WOW, just WOW.
And I can't stop laughing at the picture of Oskar with the leash in his mouth! :)
Oh my! That is quite the string of drool! Hahaha! Two funny posts. Thanks for the laugh!
Post a Comment