Sunday, July 15, 2012

I Survived!!!

Girls camp, girls camp, what do you see?
I see a black bear in a Teepee........

Yep returned from girls camp a few days ago and yes, there were bears. Luckily the Rangers captured one of them and the other never returned.

So one could say it's the bears I survived but truthfully, it wasn't the bears at all, it was the hundred of girls camping in the same spot.

It was the songs I now have ingrained in my head.

I said, a boom chicka boom!
I said, a boom chicka boom!
I said, a boom chicka boom!
I said, a boom chicka boom!

I said a boom chicka, rocka chicka, rocka chicka boom!
I said a boom chicka, rocka chicka, rocka chicka boom!

It was coming up with a ditty every evening and having a skit prepared.

It was finding slugs in my shoes.

The mosquitoes.

The water slide and canoe races.

The funny things the girls say.

Reviewing the list of things to bring a 12 year old asked what Feminine Hygiene products were. I told her to count her blessings.

Another girl was so excited to ride the trail horses all she talked about was how she would ride her cousin's horse bareback. 

Naturally I was skeptical and quizzed her. "Bareback is without a saddle," I informed her.  She was quite aware and reassured me she can ride bareback.

Again I asked, "Independently or with someone leading you?"

Independently, she replied.

Alrighty then, seems we have a horse girl among us.

When she was ready to mount the trail horse, she started to freak out. I reminded her she was a horse girl, after all she can ride bareback. She spat back at me saying she's never ridden anything bigger than a Shetland Pony.

I told her that was not the conversation we had the night before. She said she rode a horse. A Shetland pony was never mentioned. Her response, "I categorize them the same."

Hmmm.

Last but not least,  sleeping in a tent...who does that at my age anyway?

and check out these handcarts, what are we, living in the 1800's sheesh!





16 comments:

Emmy said...

Glad you survived! Was the bear really in your tent?? Glad the Rangers got the rest away.
Well a pony is a small horse right? :)

Maria Sself said...

I'm JEALOUS!!! I want to have the same summer survival story - you know have something to be proud of and something to have funny memories of!!!

Shelly said...

Despite the slugs in the shoes (ugh!) it sounds like it was a really fun trip. Bears??? I would have had to go home...

Julie said...

You are awesome! I survived it too, but you seem to have many more interesting stories than I do. I'm glad mine was less eventful. :)

lesa said...

Thanks for getting that song stuck in my head :)

Lesa

Seriously Though said...

thanks for stopping by. I loved doing girls camp when I was a kid and loved it still has a leader. Miss those days :(

wendy said...

I bet you would be a blast at girl camp. I HATE BEARS. It is one of the things that petrifies me here, whenever we try to go hiking.
Sleeping in tents is definetly "harder" at our age. I prefer a nice soft mattress, in an enclosed room, safe from bears.

betty said...

thanks for visiting my blog (A Bench With a View) and your comment. You are a much braver woman than I am to spend a week camping with lots and lots of girls! I'm sure it was a wild adventure, considering the bears! Hope your weekend is a restful one!

betty

Darrell said...

We're proud of you!

Mary said...

Ha! My daughter told me about that embarrassing Feminine Hygeine question. I hope she stays lucky for many more years!! ;)

tammy said...

Laughing! Loved the feminine hygiene answer. I found out someone in my ward was trying to get me in charge of girls' camp one year. Obviously she hates me.

Anonymous said...

Ok, that was good humor -- thanks for making my evening. wow, 12 years old and hasn't had that special talk yet. I loved your answer.

Hans and Chelsey said...

Love the bareback story! Girls camp looked like and sounded like a lot of fun.

Unknown said...

I LOVED that song from camp--thanks for the fun flashback ;)

Rachel said...

While Shetland ponies might not be quite the same as a horse... my old Shetland was MUCH harder to ride than subsequent equine friends, ha! (Well, the fact that she BIT your legs if you dared to get on her - pretty much meant that you rode with your feet back on her flank... kinda messes with your seat once you start lessons and learn how you are SUPPOSED to ride ;)

Trail horses... always an adventure!

Glad you survived!

Jenny Lynn said...

LOL..glad you survived girls camp. Mine had a blast they year and my beehive only got home sick 3 nights in a row. Thank heavens she had her older sister there to comfort her. Our group also had a little bug go through camp. My girls were kind enough to bring it home with them. LOL...