Sunday, May 25, 2014

Pick a card, any card.....

Paying for an oil change, tire rotation or anything else which applies to the car's general up keep, use this card. Hair appointments, lunch with the girls, shopping, pedicures, general up keep which applies to me, use another card. Costco has a special card all in it's own, the American Express.

I feel like a dealer shuffling cards but it's far better than the alternative - cash or check. As long as I give the husband the receipts so he can keep me straight, or at least the bills, he's a happy man and I can continue to draw from the deck which I call my wallet.

Last Saturday I had a few stores to shop in before hitting Costco for a carwash and gas. Old Navy was the last place I was in when I pulled out a credit card to pay for  my purchase. The clerk needed some I.D. so I once again drew from the deck and pulled out the American Express card which has my picture on it. The clerk was satisfied and I was on my way.

I continued on to Costco, the final stop of the day, to wash my car and gas up. The American Express card was readily available since I had just used it as a form of I.D. Badda Boom, Badda Bang, get er in, get er out, get er done, errands complete.

It wasn't until the following Wednesday I was back at Costco for more gas and another carwash, just for the record,  my car gets a wash twice to three times a week - that's the beauty of a monthly pass. It's then when I noticed I couldn't find the regular American Express card. No worries - I have a back up - the business version, but I was slightly worried.

After fumbling through my purse with no results, my brain began retracing the cards last whereabouts and Saturday was the only day I could come up with when I last used it. This time, I throughly went through my purse, clothes pockets, the car, anywhere I could have misplaced it.

Finally, I had to bear the news to the husband, I had lost my card. I figured he would cancel it and a new one would eventually come in the mail.

A week later the husband and I had some Costco shopping to do.  I gave the cashier my business American Express to pay for the purchase. He swiped the card and with a funny look on his face he said the card has a hold on it.

Wait a minute, a hold? I went into full detail on how I lost my card so the husband had to cancel it which perhaps also cancels out the business card yadda, yadda, yadda. All the while the husband kept shaking his head no. Made sense to me but before I could question him on why he didn't agree, the cashier solved the mystery and said my missing card was in their hold box.

What? In their hold box?

As the husband and I were walking out of the store I asked him why he didn't cancel the card. He explained it wasn't showing any activity and figured I would eventually find it.

I believe it wasn't me who found the card. Either someone happened upon it and turned it in, or maybe, just maybe the card had a few tricks up it's sleeve and performed the greatest disappearing act of all time.








4 comments:

Julia said...

I'm glad you got your card back. It's not a good feeling when a credit card goes missing. The cashier must have forgotten to give you back your card by accident and then put it in the Hold Box until you returned. It's strange they didn't called you as they have all that information in your membership form and in their computer. They must be too busy...

I love my debit card most of all.

Hugs,
JB

Shelly said...

Gulp! I know that feeling. Glad you got your card back~

Julia said...

Hi Saimi, thanks for your vote of support. I haven't posted since then because I want to get my son in law to try to retrieve my lost posts and put them back in the right place so I didn't posted any new post yet. Thanks also for mentioning my silly doodle. I see faces everywhere, even in old coffee stains. Maybe I'm a doodle artist and don't even know it. lol.

Hugs,
JB

What I Did Today said...

I've had that happen before. It's always such a relief when cards turn up again, isn't it? Glad yours was a happy, albeit confusing, ending.