Friday, September 12, 2014

The not so convenient store

Running on fumes I pulled into the nearest gas station to quench the thirsty car. 

 It wasn't the tidiest of places. The pumps were worn and old giving the impression they haven't been used in a while, but the traffic of people coming in and out of the store indicated things aren't always as they appear. The place definitely was open for business.

Despite the urge to drive on I had no choice but to fill the tank at this run down service station.

I popped open the little door to the gas tank from inside the car, got out to start pumping gas when I read a sign on the pump, 'No credit cards, pay inside.'

Yeah, not going to happen so I pulled forward to the other pump which happened to be credit card friendly.  I swiped the card, entered my zip code and pressed YES for Safeway member. I don't usually care to use my Safeway points because 99% of the time I gas at Costco. Actually 99% of the time I shop at Costco so why I decided to use Safeway points is beyond me, I don't even know if I have any accumulated.

OK cancel that except the pump won't let me cancel, it wants me to see the attendant who happens to be inside.

Moving on to the next pump. Again, I swiped my card, pressed NO for Safeway member, YES for receipt and successfully filled the car. To my disappointment the receipt did not print at the pump, it wanted me to see the attendant.....inside.

The lady seemed confused as to why the receipt wouldn't print - she could see on the computer screen my transaction so she called for the owner Mr., some Chinese name, who came over, looked at the screen and said - don't know, no receipt. 

No receipt?  Really? 

I asked the lady if she could give me a hand written one. She wrote it for $30.00, the amount she saw on the screen. I knew I spent 30 something but wasn't convinced 30 even was the right amount.

I took the hand written receipt but before I left I walked over to the pump and saw it was for $34.17 so I went back into the store told them the correct amount. They once again looked it up on the screen and saw I was right.

Guess what, they were able to print the receipt.

3 comments:

Julia said...

It sounds like a bad dream, really. I've never encountered any thing like that but then i don't travel a lot. I'm glad that you didn't got stranded somewhere with no gas.
A good storey.
Hugs,
JB

Patricia said...

Oh, some days are just a bit tiresome. Hopefully it will show correctly on the bill when it comes. Our Costco doesn't have a gas station, but they're due to move to a location not too far from us on the freeway. It will have a gas station and it will be a convenient stop for us to get gas. It's on the way to and from work. It's been in the works already for a couple of years and at one point the project had been canceled. Now though it's a go and hopefully it will happen within the next two years. I can imagine Rick will stop by on his way home to pick up a rotisserie chicken when the 'no cooking' mood strikes. (grin)

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Weird!
I know the feeling about NOT wanting to go in to some of those gas stations.

Costco........such a foreign place. I have to travel for 2 hours to find one. They are so fabulous!