Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Darlene

I feel as if I'm intruding every time I walk past her bed in the small quaint room of the nursing home my 99 year old granny shares with her. Darlene assures me by her smile and a slight wave she doesn't mind.

The nursing home is close to our house making it a nice stop to and from where ever it is the husband and I might be going, so we make it a point to visit as often as we can.

Granny and Darlene's room is divided by a curtain, Darlene being close to the door. Both sections are decorated with a homey touch adorned by family pictures and personal trinkets.

The girls couldn't be more opposite. Granny is a talker, she tells us all about what is and is not going on and what she thinks about it. As for Darlene, well, I've never heard her speak. Every night on our way out we'll stop by her bed and say goodnight and in her quiet way, she'll give us a smile and a wave.

I don't know anything about Darlene other than she shares the same faith as we do. I've seen ladies from her church come and give her a message, read to her and visit the best they can. I appreciate their efforts as it must be hard when Darlene doesn't communicate. I would place her age in her early 60's because when I look at her face I don't see an old woman.
Perhaps she had a stroke of some kind but I really don't know.

While visiting, we try to come up with something to keep Granny entertained. We asked her if she would like to listen to a book on CD or listen to the scriptures but she'll only balk at the suggestion. She's not much into T.V. either. She'll attend some of the activities they offer but mostly she prefers to be in her room.

To keep the conversation going, I decided to read to Granny. I pulled out my phone and began with my blog posts.

Then, remembering I have an app with LDS church music, I asked Granny what her favorite hymn is. She replied, 'Before thee Lord, I bow my head' .

Just as I started the music, Darlene was being wheeled into the room. Her head turned towards the music and I saw a sparkle in her eyes I've never seen before. The nursing aids pulled the curtain closed so they could attend to her needs and put her to bed. 

Once they left, it was time for us to leave also. We hugged Granny and said our goodbyes. As we were exiting the room I turned around and asked Darlene if she would like to hear the same hymn. She didn't answer so I took it as a yes.

I played it for her holding my phone close to where she can hear it. When the song was over the husband and I said our goodnights. Expecting Darlene to give us her sweet smile and wave like she always does, she rather astounded us by saying, 'Goodnight'.

Walking out of the room, we turned towards each other, did a fist bump and smiled all the way to the car.

7 comments:

Julia said...

Siami, I know that music is a powerful force on the memory. I've seen people so withdrawn into themselves but when the listen to music that they used to love, they come alive. It's pretty amazing.

The fact that Darlene said Goodnight to you speaks volumes. You touch her deep in her soul.

Thanks for sharing.

Hugs,
JB


Julia said...

Sorry for misspelling your name Saimi.
JB

Just Mags said...

I really enjoyed this post. Music is a great up-lifter and healer. What a wonderful thing you did playing music for them. Hugs

Kyrotime said...

Thank you for stopping by for a visit Saimi & l thought I'd visit you!
What a great post! I stop by to visit my mom who is in the same living arrangement as your granny. All of the people on that floor are in a locked ward & my mom introduces me as her cousins,cousin. When I listen to music from other eras it does open the flood gates to where I was living & 'that time' in my life. How sweet Darlene sounds & how connected you are with people & their feelings. You are on of the 'walking angels' in this life & I hope your infectious!
Cynthia

Sherie Christensen said...

I loved your clever post about the year just past, and this was a lovely story. I'm glad you thoughtfully played the song for Darlene too. Music, love, and kindness are powerful things!

Patricia said...

It's nice that you were able to make that connection. It's always so uncomfortable to have to walk past another patient to get to the other bed. I always feel like we're intruding on their space. I wish there was a different arrangements to the beds offering privacy for those who desire it.

Jenny Lynn said...

I am holding the tears back. Music is something I use when working with my residents, it lifts them, brings back memories of good days and smiles. I love it when they smile. High Five for making Darlene talk.