Monday, September 18, 2017

Just a spoon full of sugar

Mom, I like the way Mrs. Eakin makes her egg sandwiches.


Really? How hard can it be to make an egg sandwich and how does a 5 year old know the difference.

So I called our neighbor, and asked what her recipe is for cooking an egg and putting it in-between two slices of bread.

The secret ingredient, Best Food Mayonnaise. 

We used to be a Miracle Whip family, as it's what the husband grew up on. 

Used to be as in past tense. 

Deciding to give it a try, I bought a small jar of mayonnaise and found myself converted. The small jar turned into a large jar and the Miracle Whip soon became the small condiment used only when the husband wanted a sandwich.

25 years later mayonnaise has taken over and Miracle Whip is non existent in our refrigerator.

My sweet mother in law has never really converted but with her mayonnaise loving husband she too has compromised.

The husband and I had dinner at their house the other night and she made deviled eggs. Since those are always such a treat, I didn't hesitate to put one on my plate.

After taking my first bite I knew instantly they were not mixed with mayonnaise. It had to be Miracle Whip as the sweet taste was undeniable so I place the egg on my husbands plate knowing he would gobble it up.

Later as we were clearing the table I couldn't resist playfully mentioning about making the deviled eggs with Miracle Whip.

She said she hasn't had that in her refrigerator for years. 

So how did you make them? Naturally I was curious.

I used a little bit of sugar and vinegar.

This just confirms what I've always admired about my mother in law. 

She's not only an amazing cook, I now know she can also drum up a recipe for home made miracle whip.




5 comments:

Julia said...

An interesting observation. I used to buy Miracle Whip and when I had to take away any food that contain soy or soy by products from my diet I found that Hellmann's Real Mayonnaise had no soy in it so I switched and found a big difference in the taste. Everybody loves it better.

That 5 year old was quite an observant kid.
Hugs, Julia

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

I am the same!!! I was raised on Miracle Whip and I remember as a little girl my dad saying that the man that invented mayonnaise should be buried in it.
So I though mayo was horrible.

Then just 2 years ago I tried mayo on something and LOVED IT! It is the best in coleslaw. I can't even stand tasting Miracle Whip anymore.
Your post cracks me up.

This N That said...

I grew up on Miracle Whip as well...My Mother would hear of nothing else...no more..I am a Hellmans fan..Hope all is well in your part of the world!!

Barb said...

Hi Saimi!

I only eat mayo!! My husband loves Miracle Whip, I don't like it at all, I'm a mayo girl all the way. But, I only like, Best Foods, does that make me a mayonnaise snob!? I hope not, I don't like snobs . . . :0)

Hugs,
Barb

Billie Jo said...

Would you believe we make our egg sandwiches the same way???
And I too was raised on the jar with the light blue lid.
No more!
Mayonaise for us here!!! : )