Take for instance Downieville California, a small northern town which was known for it's abundance of gold back in the 1800's. This mining community had a population of 5,000 during the height of the gold rush but has since dwindled to a current 325.
Despite their size, they are still a popular little place as they have been hosting a mountain bike competition since 1998 called The Downieville Classic.
The husband and I found out about the Downieville Classic through our son Derek who has been competing in these types of bike races.
Derek recently won two national bike trials in West Virginia in a category where the next level is competing against professionals.
Wanting to challenge himself he signed up for the Downieville classic in the pro division.
The husband and I knew this should not be a missed opportunity, call us crazy but we hit the road with the husbands little trailer, I call his man cave or hobbit house, our scooters and of course the husbands bike then drove the 12 hours to California.
Our son traveled with friends who come to Downieville annually to race and are the ones who encouraged Derek to ride pro.
The husband, pictured with the biker boys, is wearing the yellow jersey. He decided to give the course a try and fortunately for him, they were only doing the downhill portion.
During race day, the husband and I divided and conquered. I stayed behind to take pictures of the start
and he rode his scooter to the top of the mountain then placed himself along the trail set and ready to hand off a fresh water bottle to his boy.
The race was brutal. It was 28 miles of riding with the first five of it going straight up followed by a difficult downhill descent.
After the water bottle handoff, the husband and I raced against time to get to the end so we could see him come in.
Derek finished only 7 minutes behind the top racer. With 47 contestants in his category he placed 8th.
The weather was hot, hot, hot but with a nearby swimming hole all the guys, including the husband, jumped off a steep rock into the water then swam to the other side to bask in the sun. They kinda reminded me of a colony of man seals.
I wasn't brave enough to make the leap but managed to take a brief dip in the ice cold water.
The weekend was over before we knew it, but wow what a weekend it was.
We found ourselves in a small historic town which we never knew existed and by doing so, we were able to not only watch our son push himself to another level, but we gained an even greater appreciation for his efforts and accomplishments.
We are so proud of him!












11 comments:
How exciting!!! I love that y'all just got up and took off! Congrats to your son. Your husband's 'man cave trailer' looks cool! Glad you were made welcome!
What an exciting life you all lead. Congratulations to your son's amazing achievements. I just realized what a boring, mundane life I lead. Work, work, work and no play... You are all fit and having fun. I'm fit through hard work and no fun play.. lol.
Oh that man cave trailer looks so cool indeed.
Enjoy your second week in August.
Hugs, Julia
Saimi, You and your husband are young and strong. I admire those young bikers so much. I would love to have their energy. Congrats to your son, he is amazing. Blessings to all, xoxo, Susie
Looks like you and your family are having fun! Smiling at the man cave trailer.
Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment, too! xo Diana
what a fun trip and I would love to see the tiny town. you and hubby do not look old enough to have a grown son. and in the hubby yellow shirt pic he looks the same age as the boys.... great bike shots to
What a fun adventure! Well done to Derek!
So nice to meet you! Glad you stopped in and that you enjoyed the reading post. I've been a lifelong reader as well, I just love most all books! Love getting to see the children's books again now with granddaughter. I enjoyed looking at your pictures especially the girls trip, beautiful scenery and looked like fun! Also the grandparents week--great idea and y'all sure did keep BUSY with lots of fun activities! Arent' grandkids the BEST!!?? Yes I've read Beach House, if you mean the one by Mary Alice Monroe. She is the sweetest, met her at book signings. I have enjoyed her books for years, they are great! Birds of prey, sea turtles, dolphins--she brings to life the stories of many endangered animals and is great with human relationship stories too. Well, great to meet you and hope you stop back often! Happy summer!
Awesome job to have finished right there behind the winner. And that city I have never heard of. I have only made it up as far as Santa Barbara Calif but I love Southern Calif for sure. Going to have to see how far away that is from my son in La Mesa.
OOPS..meant to also thank you for stopping over at my blog.
enjoyed reading about the bike race! Great pictures with it. Thanks for your compliment but I am far far from a master gardener!! ha ha LOl our gardens are a jumble mess of wildness right now, a real hodge=podge of a little bit of everything! I like the wild look, so it suits me fine. Hope you are having a great weekend out your way!
You guys have so much fun! Isn't retirement wonderful!!?? I love adventure that takes me places I've never been before...what fun!! Congrats to your son!!
Post a Comment