Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Age is but a number

Turning the big mile stones in life for me was always embraced. 

Sweet 16, yep! Being one of the youngest in my class I was the last one to get my driving permit/license so that age was a big deal for me.

21 not so much, I don't drink so going to bars or buying alcohol was never a big deal, besides in H.S. you didn't have to be 21 to drink, seems like kids managed to get the booze somehow. It was there for the partaking should I have wanted.

30, I was knee deep in motherhood to notice. My thirties came and went so fast the next thing I knew my Mother In Law was throwing a 40th surprise party for the husband and I.

After we shut the 40's door, 50 came a knocking. Actually that was fun, the husband threw both of us a surprise 100th birthday party, but I was the only one surprised since he was the party planner. 

We are exactly 5 days apart, me being the wiser. He married an older woman and I make sure he doesn't forget.

My mom just turned 85. That number sounds really old, well it would have when I was in my thirties but now, it's right around the corner and when I see my mom she is amazing.
She's in good health mentally and physically sometimes making her hard to stay up with. I'm hoping her genes run deep because I'll be looking to glean from them sooner than later.

My dad will be 89 in April, he's moving slower than his usual slow self. He was slow when he first started walking. He was the guy who would get traffic tickets for driving too slow.

His age stabs at me. Although he is doing fine and not on much medication I think just blood pressure but when you get close to your 90's anything can make you fail fast. 

If thats the case, I hope he'll stick with his snails pace. I'm not ready for him to leave just yet.
Then there's my Dixie girl. They told me she was going to turn 3 this year and like most foals, they are born in the spring so naturally I was expecting her to turn 3 anywhere from March to May.

When I received her registered papers in the mail the other day I noticed her birthdate. 

10-03-2017. I'm like, What????   Was she barely a two year old when I bought her in the the fall? Yeah, she will turn three alright, but not until October.

My baby girl, is really a legit baby and a large one at that.

I texted the seller and showed them a picture of her birthdate and asked if it was true, did she just turn two before we got her?

They got a chuckle out of my curiosity and reassured me she will turn 3 in March.

She is from Dutch decent and the Dutch write their dates with the day before the month 10-03-2017. Her birthday is March 10..... silly me.

So, she went from being two, to almost 3 back to being 2 for another 10 months to having her third birthday this March.

Confused? It just goes to show, age is but a number. 
It's what you do with your life in between the numbers that count.


8 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Saimi~I totally agree, age is just number! I admire your mom, I'll bet she has worked hard to stay fit and keep going...she is just beautiful!! And your dad...bless his heart, he is very handsome! It's never time when they leave us...I hope they stay around for a while as well.

Your Dixie is just beautiful!! I hope she lives a good long time as well!

Hugs and Love, Barb

MadSnapper n Beau said...

age is just a number, until it is not! hubby is 83, I am 75, and we are both heathy and doing well, but that number is climbing faster by the day. my son will be 55 on valentines day and the next week other son will be 53. now their ages are climbing. your mom and dad are beautiful, love the photo of them together and your baby is stunning. that is to funny on the birthdate switch. hubby has melanoma surgery tomorrow, thus the negative age thing at the beginning. hope you have your mothers genes and I am hoping I have daddy's.

LC said...

Your observations of aging--your own and loved ones both two-footed and four footed-- were delightful and touching for this almost 73-year-old.

Barb said...

Hi~ Thanks for the yummy recipe! Sounds absolutely wonderful!! Got my furniture today!!


BeachGypsy said...

Love this post and yes!--your folks look so young!! Looks like they sure stay active. So cute how your baby girl was 2, then 3, then 2, does that mean you had her potty trained at age 2 then??! ha ha LOL She is so gorgeous, are you enjoying her lots?

Busy Bee Suz said...

I love this post. It's just numbers for sure. I've never really worried about my age either; so thankful to be here.
Your Mom is inspiring!!
Yeah, I always get confused when we go places and they write the date in day/month/year instead of month/day/year.
Love that picture of your big babies. :)

Cindy said...

The older I get the more I realize age is just a number. Your folks look amazing! And your new baby is beautiful! That is kind of funny about her age though!

Terra said...

I love that last photo of the two horses, they look like friends. How funny you were confused by the European way of writing dates, and it turns out you were right all along about your horse's age.