Tuesday, May 5, 2009

After Surgery



OK so the old saying goes, "Dog is man's best friend" the reason, I suppose, is they are the perfect companion in every way. They are loyal, always happy to see you, and all it takes to make them feel loved and secure is just a pat on the head and a kind voice. Not to say humans can't have the same traits, but the one thing they do have that we don't, is their ability to bounce back after a major surgery.

Archie took a trip to the vet clinic on Monday to have his male parts removed, that in it's self is bad enough, according to my husband who can sympathize. But he had his dew claws removed as well - that would be like having our thumbs amputated. Dogs have no use for them and it is usually done right after they are born.

So our four month old puppy was neutered and de thumbed all on the same day. One would think he would be laying around with a pack of cold peas between his legs, zoned out on pain killers with his paws elevated. Instead, he was so happy to be home he not only ate his dinner, but scarfed down Jimmy's when he wasn't looking. With a full belly, he ran all over the house playing with his toys, chewing everything in sight and teasing the other dogs.

I don't quite understand it myself but I know I wish I could have the same attributes of our canine companions.

1 comment:

Mary said...

That Archie is such a stud. Well... not technically, but he's still cute.