Thursday, March 4, 2010

Call of the can opener



Funny thing, we have this female cat that pretty much wrote the book on cat behavior. She is everything anyone has ever said about cats. "Only wants attention on her terms, will act put out and will even swipe at you if she's not in the mood for being petted. Will want out then sit at the door deciding what she really wants to do after you open it for her." I could go on but you get the picture.

I started noticing she would appear in the kitchen every time I open a can of something. For the longest time I couldn't figure out why she does that. We never give our animals human food so I don't know why she comes when I use the can opener. It's not like she's expecting she's going to get anything, but then again, she would start meowing if I didn't give her the can.

More time has gone by and she continues to show up every time she hears the can opener. Finally, the mystery was solved. One day my middle son was home and we were in the kitchen making lunch. I opened a can of chicken to make chicken salad sandwiches and in saunters Rosie. I told my son about her little habit, and he confessed he used to give her an empty can to lick after he would open one up. Ahh ha, that's it!! It all makes sense now. Well college is boy is back in school and I now know why Miss Rosie comes to the can opener. What amazes me is how tuned in she is to the sound. Seriously, I try to be super quiet just to test her and sure enough, no matter where she is in the house, she will materialize into the kitchen. So why am I feeding in to her bad habit, I don't really know. Maybe so we can have something to share and I know she will come to me on my terms. Is it a control thing on my part or am I becoming more like my cat and think rules don't pertain to me, even if it's my rule I'm breaking?



4 comments:

Destiny said...

That is too funny. It isn't even a loud can opener.

Anonymous said...

Now every time you see the can opener you can think of your son. Sneaky son = spoiled cat!!

Emerson said...

Careful, you may start becoming an old cat lady...

Unknown said...

I think she's trying to make you win her affection.