Monday, March 8, 2010

The Missionary

Mondays are my favorite day of the week. It's not just an extention of my four days off, where my weekends are longer than my work days, but it's also P-Day for the missionary. How I love to hear from my boy. I can't wait for the afternoon to roll around so I can curl up on the couch with my laptop and lose myself in his words. I read his email over and over again just to make sure I don't miss anything. Two weeks ago, he rode a bus 10 hours from the city of Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido where he is now serving. They haven't had a baptism in 6 months and the investigators don't like to commit going to church. Although he has his work cut out for him, he is enjoying his new area. The people are super friendly, his apartment is smaller but cleaner and there aren't as many bugs, and with the weather getting hotter, it makes taking a shower in cold water actually refreshing.

Puerto Escondido means "hidden port." It is one of the most important tourist attractions on the Oaxaca coast, but not as well known or visited as Cancun or Acapulco. I guess there are no direct flights into this 'hidden port' other than domestic ones. The only way to get there is by bus from the city Oaxaca and we're not talking long flat highways, but more of a curvy route with hairpin turns descending the Sierra del Sur Mountain Range. This explains why he couldn't sleep while traveling, just thinking about it gives me the heebie jeebies.

It's just a small rustic little town that is rich in culture and tradition. It's the perfect mission for him, as he knew Spanish before he left, and he has always loved hot places. The Lord knew exactly where he needed to be and already, with just seven months under his belt, he has grown in ways I never would have imagined. I couldn't be more proud, keep up the good work Elder Parsons!




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For some reason I didn't see this post the otherday. He looks good.

Emerson said...

Arent you just proud of your youngest son.

Emerson said...

In fact, Ill leave another comment on this post just because your other followers are to afraid too