Monday, June 13, 2011

Hard Headed

Despite my sunny disposition and having the ability to let things roll off my back, there is a dark side of me that lies deep within. Not where I tell it like it is and can be blunt in sensitive situations, no not that. Dig deeper and you'll find, if the right button is pushed, a much more willful and stubborn person emerges.

I have been known and called a hard headed woman at times.

Stay with me and here and allow me to share a story.

Our school year is coming to a close. We had our last day with the preschoolers and we already prepared the classroom for summer cleaning. So to stay busy, we've been tidying up closets and organizing equipment.

Next on the list was the bike shed. It's were we keep our outdoor activities such as the tricycles, the wagon, sidewalk chalk and bubbles.

I had the custodian get me the shop vac and unlock the shed for me. I pulled out all the play toys and started vacuuming. The only place left to clean was underneath an old tether ball  pole. As I was moving it out of the way it bumped into a board that was propped against the wall, which in turn, landed smack dab on top of my head.

Crap! OK that's not what I actually said but you get the idea. I put my hand on my head and next thing I know, it's covered in blood.

Ahh, I'm ticked because I don't have time for an injury. The elementary students will be headed for recess soon and I wanted to get things cleaned up and put away before they came out.

I took my bloody self into the restroom and sure enough my at the hairline of my forehead was a split which was bleeding like a son of a gun.

A few wet paper towels later and one on my head I went back outside. With one hand holding a paper towel in place, I used the other to finish the job.

My coworker found me in the shed and said, "Oh there you are, I was wondering where you went."
Then realized I was holding my head, she continued and said, "Why are you holding your head?"

I told her my little accident story and she quickly took a look at my wound and told me I needed a stitch or two.

Forget that, I wasn't going anywhere until this shed was finished and besides, there wasn't time to go to the hospital. I have family coming into town for my son's college graduation and stitches didn't fit into the plan.

She also informed me I needed to fill out an accident form. So after helping me with the shed, we went to the office. By this time the bleeding had stopped....sorta.

My coworker cleaned the wound. Using an old nurses trick, she tied an emergency knot with my hair to secure the split.

 There you have it, I'm as good as new. With that being said, I left work early, not to go to the doctors but to prepare for the arriving family.

I guess what I'm asking here is, if a blunt force trauma to the head couldn't knock some sense into me me I don't know what can, or perhaps, it just goes to show what everyone has been saying for years...I really am  hard headed after all!

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my!! I am sorry about the bump and split to your head. I hope it is not sore and swollen. Are you going for stitches or let it heal as is? I had never heard of tying the hair in a knot to keep a cut together before...cool trick. I hope you have no problems with the cut and it heals quickly. Hugs

Anonymous said...

BTW I love your blog, it is so colorful and cheerful. The colors are wonderful. Hugs

Nat said...

Ouch! Head injuries are the worst...I had an awful one a few years back that required 6 stitches and really messed up my hairline :-)
You are very stoic carrying on like that... hope it's healing well!

Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide said...

I gotta admit, I'm the same way. My dad literally used to call me a "hard head" no joke! Stubborn is my middle name.. and I am NOT proud of it. I think "We" think we can do it all, on our own terms, when and how we choose. Just not so. Some of us just have to learn the hard way I guess. ;O)
Thank goodness it wasn't more serious.. as in they found you knocked unconscious!

Anonymous said...

I am amazed that it stopped bleeding because most cuts to the head bleed like crazy! Speaking of crazy, girl did you go get it sewed up? I think you should, can't keep that hair in a knot forever! ;D

Lisa @ Pulsipher Page said...

Oh geez, just what you want to deal with before family comes in! Hope it heals quietly!

Lesa said...

Ouch!!

Connie said...

Hard headed or one tough mama, I don't know which. You handle blood and pain well, either that or you are so ambitious that you just couldn't leave a job unfinished.

Andrea said...

Ouch! Maybe being hard-headed is a good thing after all. I'm gonna have to remember that hair-tying trick.

Amy said...

Dangit! I can understand the stubbornness. That musta hurt! Obviously your head isn't THAT hard otherwise it wouldn't have split open.
Did you ever go to the hospital? Is your head ok??

Rachel said...

You take hard-headed to a literal level! OUCH! I am glad you are "okay" - though that seems to be a relative term with your high pain tolerance!

Sorry for the bleeder... but dang that was a cool nurse's trick!

Kristina said...

I hope you are okay - sometimes a bloody knock to the head is nothing compared to incoming family.

Unknown said...

To have raised 3 boys and several animals, I can understand that every once in a while a willful and stubborn personality must come out when certain buttons are pushed!!! It's so frustrating when you're on a mission to complete a task to have something go wrong or interrupt/hurt you! I'm glad you're okay though! Never interrupt a women on a mission! Most people would consider that "hard headiness" perseverance!

Anonymous said...

Oh I love this story, so glad you opted out of the stitches, that would have cost you time and money and no guarantee of no scar. Glad you were able to tie your hair--never heard of that one. I have made those same decisions, and all turned out fine. But boy do I hate those situations.

tammy said...

Tying a knot with your hair was actually kind of brilliant. My husband is the same way with his hardheadedness. He'd probably just stick some duct tape on it.

Leanne said...

Owiee!!! I totally understand the "not having time to go to the hospital" line - because I think I may have used that, myself, once before. But dear friend ... when I hear it from you, I think, "Oh, Saimi- you should have gone!!!" Hard-headedness and all!

You know what I always say, "Never mess with a woman who has a bleeding head!!!" (I never really said that before - but it sure sounded good!) Hope you are healing well, and the graduation went off without any other incidents (and that the family visits were fun, too!)

Hugs!!!

Jenny Lynn said...

we must be related. I would have totally handled it the situation the same way. I like the knot in your hair, going to file that one away for future use. Hope your doing better now.

Barb said...

Oh my goodness!! I hope that your head is alright, and that the cut was cleaned really, really well?! I've been known to be a tad-bit "herd" headed myself, so I know what you are going through... ;0) Hope all is well~

Hugs,
Barb

W.C.Camp said...

Wow I visibly WINCED when you said that board hit your head. You are really tough - not only because of the head injury, but because you could keep your cool when they told you that you had to endure the PAIN of the 'accident form' bureaucracy too!!! W.C.C.

wendy said...

YUP, I'd have to say you are a hard headed woman. Head strong (tee,hee)
of course we can't let a little blood and gaping wound get in the way of Things That Need to Get Done.
and of course you'd say "crap??"

congrats alson on your son's graduation

wendy said...

alson...what the heck was that I just typed??
You'd think I'd cracked MY head.

it was supposed to read, Congrats on your son's graduation.

Sher said...

Congratulations on your sons graduation. I hope you didn't have a killer headache and that you enjoyed your company. I would have tried to keep working too probably -- or maybe I would have gotten someone to super glue it:)

Tacie said...

Soooo, if you didn't say "crap" what did you say. . . "oh diggity dong"? Haha!

Emmy said...

Oh my goodness! I so would have quit cleaning the shed if that happened to me. Stick till a job till it sticks to you- you truly live that motto