Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Who's on First?



One of the options on the job chart is to be the 'kid counter.'  The child who chooses to count the kids stands in front of the other children, sitting in a circle, and by starting with himself he'll put his hand on his own head and count, 'One' then proceed around the circle touching each child on the head one at a time while continuing to count out loud.

Some of the children have mastered this task without the aid of a teacher but there are a few who still need assistance.

One boy in particular chose to count the kids as his job. Enthusiastically he jumped from his chair and took his position in front of the other children. The teacher conducting circle helped place his hand on his head and proceeded to count, 'One......'

Usually the child would repeat after the teacher but this little boy continued....'two' as he touched his own head.

The teacher tried again. Placing his hand on his head she began...'one' and the boy said, 'two'

She's like, 'say one' and he goes 'two' so another teacher decided to help and took his hand.

 She placed it on his head and said, 'one' then as she had him touch another child she said 'two' hoping he would catch on but he said, 'three.'

She tried again. With his hand on his head she said, 'One' he'd say, 'Two'

It was quite comical but we're trying not to laugh.

He seemed to have the number sequence down, it was the concept of applying it the counting process that had him stumped.

Finally with full assistance she placed his hand on his head, and said, 'One' then immediatley had him touch another child and said, 'Two' before he had a chance to interject. She continued assisting him with the third child.

After he got passed the third one he caught on and continued to count the rest of the class.

18 comments:

Jenny Lynn said...

I am giggling, that can be such a tough concept for some children to get. I like how she guided him. Then the reward was watching catch on. :)

" Hit It......." said...

I hope you know that the work that you do with these kiddos is very important. I would love your job!

TexWisGirl said...

so cute - the simplest of things we forget that we must learn first. :)

thanks for stopping in today and leaving a comment! really appreciate it!

Julia said...

Teaches sure have the toughest job, next to motherhood. Kids are so cute...
Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
JB

Patricia said...

I was expecting you to say that he was counting the teacher as #1. Kids are so cute at that age.

Connie said...

People like you have a special kind of patience.

Chatty Crone said...

I used to work with children as a parapro - so I love working with kids - your blessed and they are blessed to have you. sandie

Leanne said...

Oh, dearest Saimi!!! How good it is to be back here. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such sweet comments today! I smiled widely the moment I saw your name!

I absolutely love this story of the kid counter! My Katie is now 9, and Ella is 6, and I am daily amazed (and so very often amused) at what comes out of their mouths! this story made me chuckle so very much!

Much love, dear friend! I'm so sorry my visits have been few and far between . . . I have got to find the time for visiting more - it always makes me so happy when I do! Hugs!

Shelly said...

Oh, how cute!!! I would have loved to have seen it~

Anonymous said...

Well, he knew he was "one," so I think he did just perfectly. :)

Deb said...

lol..he has his own ideas on counting....

Rum-Punch Drunk said...

Kids are just so funny and cute. At least he got there in the end though.

Chatty Crone said...

Would you do me an unusual request. I inadvertently took off my original GFC button off my blog.

Now that is it off I realize there is no way to get it back on. There is but it won't let me.

So I found another GFC button - would you go to my blog and see if you can follow through there? You can delete it right afterwards if you want.

I know this is a dumb request, but I just thought I'd ask. You have been commenting and you have no return email address. Mine is skcz at comcast dot net

Thank you. sandie

Jan said...

Such a cute story! Our daughter has 2 year old twins - Jack and Caitlin. They're also learning the concept of counting and both argued that they were One. My daughter made Dr. Seuss t-shirts that said Thing 1, Thing 2, Thing 3, Thing 4 - Daddy was #1, Mommy was #2 and she allows the twins to takes turns being 3 and 4. They now think that 4 is as high as you can count! It's a process with 2 year olds! Have a great weekend, Jan

Chatty Crone said...

Gosh you probably think I am a nut - I was trying to check out my blog. But I do appreciate you following me - hopefully we will become good friends. Can you send me your email address?

Anonymous said...

Those kids look like they are having fun!

tammy said...

So cute. I just love little people.

Thank you for your always kind words of love and support on my blog. I truly appreciate it.

Emmy said...

Lol! That would have made me laugh too