Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Good ol' Granny

With her wits about her in a ailing body, she sits rocking.  Her days are spent rocking, napping, eating and watching t.v. in her favorite chair, the old wooden rocker. No other chair will do. We've tried but she won't have it, she loves her rocker.

She'll be 98 in September and I know her good health is due to the loving care of her daughters.

 She lives with her eldest daughter who is her primary care taker and when something comes up that's beyond her capabilities, her other daughter, my mother in law, steps in.

Don't get me wrong or anything, Granny girl still showers, toilets, and dresses herself independently she just needs help with meals, meds and transportation. Neither the Aunt nor Granny drives.

With the mother in law out of town and Auntie dealing with some health issues of her own, I've been doing what I can to assist. Today, the aunt showed me how to give granny her insulin shot. I watched intently but was too much of a coward to do it myself.

After tiding up the house I asked the girls if there was anything I could get for them while I was out and about.

Granny piped up and asked for some milk.

I looked in the fridge to see what type they drink so I know what kind to pick up at the store.

Me holding a carton of milk:  Granny is this what you need.

Granny:  Is it the one with the red top?

Me: No, but there's some milk in a pitcher, what kind is this?

Granny: I don't know.

Me: Well what kind do you drink?

Granny: The kind with the red top.
 
Me looking at the Aunt: What kind of milk do you use?

The Aunt: We mix our own.

Me: Oh, O.K. so you don't need me to pick up milk then?

The Aunt nods her head no.

With that being said I bid the girls good-bye giving hugs and telling them I'll be back to make dinner.

Granny: Aren't you going to give me my milk?

She get's kinda insistent which I find endearing.

Me looking at her curiously: What?

Granny: I'm asking for a glass of milk.

Me laughing: Oh sorry Granny, I thought you wanted me to pick up some milk, didn't realize all you wanted was some to drink.

Granny and Auntie

7 comments:

Shelly said...

How cute! She really wanted that milk! What a blessing she must be to all around her. Love this!

Connie said...

Too funny. It's all about communication and interpretation, in other words you either read her mind or try to get on the same page as her. You are such a blessing to your family.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

That is priceless!
I love that photo of them.

She didn't get to be 97 without "insisting" to be there.

So beautiful.

Julia said...

Thanks for the great narrative with granny. You are lucky to still have her. My guess she'll make it way past 100.
Hugs,
JB

Barb said...

Hi Saimi~

She sounds like a wonderful lady - 98 and still going strong! My mom is 85 and soooo not like that. She is a very lucky lady to have so many around her who love her so much!!

Hugs,
Barb

" Hit It......." said...

What a blessing that she still "insists." You all are very lucky to still have her around. Hugs!

retrorevival.biz said...

Hi. Stopping by from Retro Revival. I was on Connie's blog (Shady Creek Lane) and noticed your comment and Beagle picture and had to take a closer look. Your Archie looks like my Twyla!