Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Do you see what I see…….

Oh, excuse me, man I almost knocked you over. Wait, where are you going with those yummy looking cookies anyway? 

The lady I encountered was heading in the opposite direction I was going but with her plate of Christmas treats, I wanted to go with her instead.

Here, you can take one, she offered. 

 Really?  Are you sure? I know they were carefully counted as she was using them for a class she was teaching in church.

Sure, go ahead.

I wasn't going to argue. Of course I obliged but at the same time I felt I was doing something sneaky, like opening a Christmas present early. 

The only other person in the hall was a gal in a wheelchair who appeared to be interested in what was transpiring between me and the cookie lady.

After I took my treat, I smiled and looked at the wheel bound gal and whispered, 'you didn't see a thing', hoping she would keep my secret.

She smiled back and replied, 'I'm blind, I can't see.'

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry. Bad, joke, bad, bad joke.

She just kept smiling and patted my hand assuring me it was ok, no offense taken.

Just the same I felt horrible - but then again perhaps not that horrible.

 A remorseful person would have given her the cookie, but not me. Sure I kept apologizing, but….. it didn't stop me from eating the cookie as I continued down the hall.

3 comments:

Julia said...

I hope that cookie was good... I would have given her half of the cookie. I always feel I have to share, just to ease my guilty conscience, lol...
She was a nice lady.

Merry Christmas'
Hugs,
JB

Connie said...

Can we say awkward? You handled it brilliantly and still kept your cookie, I would have done the same.

menopausal mama said...

Very awkward situation but she made light of it---no need to feel guilty. I would have eaten the cookie, too.