The husband and I were ready to settle in for the evening but we needed to get home first, and I needed someone to do the cooking.
The closer to home we got the less our options became for dinner so we decided to order 'take out' from New York Teriyaki, a restaurant which occupies space in a strip mall next to a grocery store just a couple of blocks from our house.
To quicken things up we divided and conquered. He ran into the store while I entered the restaurant to order.
By the looks of the lobby ordering food was not going to be quick by any means. With the exception of people eating everyone else, or rather the masses, had congregated in front of the doors leaving no rhyme or reason as to where the end of the line was.
Some sense of organization was needed if anyone, er me, was going to advance to the counter so desperate times called for desperate measures.
I started in with the first person standing next to me whose nose was in her phone.
Excuse me have you ordered?
She looked up, Uh no.
Then I noticed a lady holding a left over box, the kind you put your food in after you are done eating.
Excuse me, have you paid yet?
No.
Why don't you go ahead and go up to the counter so you can pay.
She gave me an odd look but hesitantly moved toward the counter anyway.
Then there was this guy who was among those standing by the door.
Have you ordered? I asked.
He replied yes so I had him step aside to another area.
Right about that time someone else walked into the restaurant who had also placed an order. So again, I took charge of the situation and shuffled her by the man standing in the new designated pick up area.
This was going on for quite awhile.
People who had already ordered and was waiting, stand there.
If they were waiting to pay for their food, move up to the counter.
If you are like me and still need to order, the line forms here.
It took some doing but lobby was finally taking shape all it needed was little organization to keep people moving along.
As I was waiting for my turn someone piped up and said,
'Well, I guess this is getting the New York experience without having to be in New York.
I couldn't help but chuckle and thought to myself, you got that right mister.

8 comments:
HA!
Good for you!!!
That kind of stuff makes me nervous!!! : )
I hope you didn't had to wait too long...You have more guts than me Saimi, I would have hightailed it out of there and gone home to eat whatever was eatable. lol.
I hope the restaurant patrons kept up the lines that your organized and maybe the manager will keep it in the future. lol. I guess you'll have to go back and check it out.
Hugs, Julia
I laughed all the way through this delightful story, this is so me. i wonder why it takes an organizer to line the people up.. love this post
I SO needed this little chuckle this morning!
Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. It meant a lot.
Going to have a whole lot of waiting room time in next 10 days...can’t wait to read your blog!!
Saimi, People being inattentive don't realize they are holding up progress. LOL. Busy places need to have lines drawn on the floors. We go to a steak and shake near us. You just described their entrance. LOL. It's a long wait to pay your tab. I told my husband , one day I would like to head to the door saying, Thanks for the meal, I will pay when you hire someone for the register.LOL Well you know that won't happen ...but if I were Queen. :) Blessings, xoxo, Susie
I have seen some pretty strange lines..People don't move up or they go out in to the street instead of going along side the building..People just don't think!!
Hi Saimi!
I just had to giggle reading this post! I could just imagine you taking charge and setting things in order, and it sounds like they needed it! We love, Texas Roadhouse, but seriously, that's how I feel when we go there. Tons of girls standing around, tons of people standing around, and no one knows where they should be. Could you please come here and take care of that?! On the other hand, New York Teriyaki sounds delicious!
Hugs and Love,
Barb
You have done a great job! I am not so dare to do things...
Post a Comment