We went to a horse camp across the street from the ski mountain, White Pass.
Not only are there ample ski trails to choose from but it's also in the heart of the Pacific Crest Trail giving us more riding options.
Luckily we didn't want to go all the way to Mexico or Canada, nor did we have to, we had plenty of riding and exploring to do right where we were at.
There were also plenty of mosquitos but since they don't like Deet or horse spray, they kept their distance. We even set out the Citronella candle repellent on our picnic table. It may be designed to keep mosquitos away but let me tell you, it had no affect on the birds what so ever.
We came back from a ride and saw the birds pecking and carrying off chunks of it in their beaks. I suppose they are tired of the mosquitoes too.
I also gotta say, this man of mine is a real gem. It was my idea to get into the whole horse thing. I had them growing up and when our kids became teenagers and into their own thing, I decided I needed something of my own.
When I expressed an interest the husband asked if it was something I wanted to do by myself or would I mind if he got one to.
That was a no brainer for me to answer. Doing my favorite thing with the my favorite person, yeah we'll take two please!
He's really turned into quite the farm boy. It's been 10 years now and he still is the best care taker making sure the horses have all their needs met at home as well as camping.
Our Oskar boy was a good little trooper.
He's so skinny so we kept him bundled up and had him wear his coat during the chilly mornings and evenings.He loves being a farm dog and the horses don't mind him at all.
I fear this might be his last camping trip, although he's still hanging in there. He just might surprise us as he has a strong little spirit for a 14 1/2 year old dog.
Besides, there's more camping to be done and I'm sure he doesn't want to miss out.










4 comments:
How wonderful that you and your hubby enjoy your horses together; I would love doing that. Your little dog is a real trooper at his age.
You are a lucky girl that your husband loves the same thing as you. It looks like a wonderful way to spend some fun time together. your horses are so beautiful.
I'm sorry that Oskar is coming close to the end of his journey. Does he stay in the camper while you are riding?
Summer has finally arrived here and I have to take frequent breaks from yard work to cool off. Wishing you a great summer together.
Hugs, Julia
your horses are so beautiful and the views in your photos are amazing. i did not know there are horse camps like this. this is wonderful that you both love riding and can travel with horses and Oskar... when you go out for a ride does Oskar go with you? or stay in the camper. my friend owns a horse ranch here and her Chihuahua, Cowboy, has a leather bucket on her saddle and rides in it every where she goes... thanks for sharing this, i enjoyed my ride
You have a wonderful husband! Love seeing what you have been up to!
Post a Comment