Sunday, June 13, 2010

Canter against cancer

                                                                                                           
Canter against cancer is a fund raiser for cancer hosted by the YVOPRC. A riding club for old people. The club organized a horse ride through our valleys vineyards to raise money for the cause.  My reasons to participate have nothing to do with wine whether it be tasting or purchasing. Rather, I wanted to take the opportunity to ride in the beautiful countryside of vineyards as well as being able to donate towards the cancer foundation. The husbands sister lost her battle against cancer 9 years ago and I know she had a smile on her face when she looked down and saw I brought her mama with me.
                                                               
I also couldn't go without my horse loving friend who shares the same passion for animals as I do.
                                             
Isn't she cute with her Australian outfit. She's riding her horse Oreo. We arrived bright and early and made it in time to be in the first group of riders.
                                         
The scenery was amazing and the weather couldn't have been more perfect. As you can see here, grapes on the vine turn into:
                                                                         Barrels of wine
                 
                                                 Not everybody traveled by horseback,
                                        
Although, I think this poor little horse would have preferred being the one sitting in the cart instead. As for me, I brought my black beauty Jaycee. This was her first time in a large group of horses and it didn't take long for her to let me know she does not like pulling up the rear. She danced and pranced and hopped about until I moved her to the front of the group. Once she was in the lead, she was a happy little trail horse.
                                                                                  
All of the wineries and their vineyards were these hidden oasis in a valley of sagebrush. I had no idea how beautiful these little tucked away places were. It was an amazing ride and one I'll be sure to look into next year.
                                               Quack, quack, y'all come back now ya hear!






                                        
                                                             

5 comments:

Kristina P. said...

What a beautiful place! I haven't ridden a horse in a very long time.

Lisa @ Pulsipher Page said...

So beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had fun. You are forgiven for missing Girls Night Out, But only this time :)

Tacie said...

Ohhh, I am soooo jealous, looks like you had a wonderful time! Next year I'm coming with you! And, don't you look cute with your little English riding outfit! You did wear your riding hat right? :)

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Look at you all cute in your riding boots!