Wednesday, September 14, 2011
Child Labor...What's your take?
I've always been a fan of child labor I mean why else do we give them a roof over their heads, home cooked meals to eat, clothes on their backs, shoes to wear, take them on family vacations and drive them all over town to their various activities if not to have them help out and do their share?
Feel free to call me a failure as my children weren't as lucky as I was. They didn't have the advantage of picking rocks out of a pasture, deadheading thistle so they wouldn't go to seed, weeding gardens, chopping wood, feeding livestock, breaking ice in the water trough before school on cold winter mornings, testing the hot wire with our fingers to see if fence was still charged, picking blackberries while being attacked by the thorns and much, much more.
All five of us children were involved in the building our house. My father was not afraid to hand my brother a hammer and some nails or a paint brush and paint. For my younger brothers, they would help with the cleaning of the construction site by picking up garbage. We built fences, stalls, dog houses, sideboards for the truck...man the list could go on and on.
My dad was not only creative in the work department but he had a chalkboard where he posted our daily chores. If we happened to have a friend over, their name was added to the board. If someone stopped by, my dad was not shy about asking them to help on what ever project he was working on. Did I mention he was an Engineer? Yeah, which explains why there was always some kind of project to do, make, or invent.
To say the least, nobody sat idle.
My boys had their fair share of chores to do but they weren't nearly as fun. They got to dust, vacuum, mow, weed, do dishes, clean bathrooms, take out the garbage, rake leaves and what ever else I could think of to keep them busy.
During the summer I would volunteer their services to help my friend with her hay. After the field was cut and the grass was bailed, my boys would help load the hay on to the truck and stack it in her barn. If they started to wheeze and sneeze I handed them a Claritin and a Kleenex.
Having them involved in the farm work made me feel like I was sharing a part of my childhood with them. They may beg to differ but none the less, it was good honest work and I believe kids should be involved with helping out.
I don't know people, is my view on child labor to harsh? Were my expectations too high? Did I, heaven forbid, do it all wrong?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

14 comments:
So glad you came by to visit me!
I've been reading through your fun blog this morning. I'll definitely be back.
Child labor? Best thing for a child. You did it right.
I like your thoughts on this!
I am all for child labor. As long as my cute throw pillows get made quickly and cheaply, I don't care who is doing it.
Right there with ya sista! Putting kids to work teaches them responsibility.
I have 2 children that can benefit from your labor then they would then appreciate the easiness of the dishwasher. I can have them ready in 10 :)
My kid did not have chores but she was involved with a lot of volunteer stuff. Though a balance is good I think your way is best. Who wants to grow up without a work ethic or having to pay somebody to plumb a faucet or build a dog house etc. You done good GIRL!! W.C.C.
Haha, oh the good memories sista!! I remember my name appearing on the chore chalk board when I would come home to visit with hubby and kids for vacation. Yes, he tried to squeeze as much work out of us as he could!
Umm...yeah, I totally agree. I've been meaning to make up a chore chart for my little guy.
You did it ALL right! Hard work never hurt anyone.
Hey Saimi, Thanks for the sweet comments over on my blog. I think it's important for families to share the work load, and then the fun times together. That's what it means to be family. Take care.
I don't think you did it all wrong by any means! I think all kids need to have a place in upkeep of home and homestead! And to help neighbors too! Achoo! :)
I am all for hard work for children!! How else do they learn? In my opinion kids have a pretty easy time of it nowadays.
I love the chalkboard!!
Not at all. Not even a little. I am so forever grateful to my mom for making me learn how to take care of a home. I am unbelievably and eternally grateful to my father-in-law for teaching my husband the value of work and giving him a good work ethic. Our kids will know how to work. And the best way to teach them is to make them do it.
I worked at a day care when I was a teenager and one of the little girls there didn't know how to sweep. I said "doesn't your mom ask you to sweep the floor at home?" she said no. It's a shame when parents think they're doing their kids a favor by never making them work.
My children need to read this. Although, I don't think I could get them to. Since they can't seem to read the chore chart very well. I know their reading skills are up to pare, since at parent/teacher conferences they always ask what I have done to raise such great readers. Hmmm...maybe they are busy reading instead of working.
Love your take on child labor and I am for it.
Post a Comment