I immediately called the husband and told him one of our favorite hills we ride on was on fire. It was unbelievable how close it seemed. Even though it was across the street from our pastures and on the hillside, the flames blazing in the wind made it feel much closer.
| This was taken by my son's cell phone |
A few weeks later after things had settled down, the husband and I saddled up the horses to take a closer look. I was anxious to see how much of our riding area was damaged.
The first little while the horses just jogged along their familiar trail totally oblivious that anything was amiss. But when we approached the area where the fire had been, they stopped dead in their tracks and were like, 'Dude where's my trail?'
They weren't sure whether they wanted to step on the ash covered ground but we continued on anyway. I couldn't believe how much was burned. Once we rode to the top of the ridge we could see where the fire had climbed up and over to the other side.
I really have to hand it to the brave firefighters. They did a remarkable job saving the orchards that lie at the base of the hill. You see, a ride wouldn't be a ride if I couldn't have a little nibble along the way.
I just love fresh apples, I also love riding with this guy.
20 comments:
Ugh so frustrating when fires do so much damage. Kind-of a helpless feeling.
Glad your orchards are okay!
o my. :( that photo of the fire is so scarey. The area you ride really beautiful. I went to Quarter Horse Congress yesterday. You're pretty blessed to have trail riding a regular activity in your life.
Fire is such a necessity but out of control it's a real destroyer. Sorry that your beautiful trail has been altered by fire but glad that the apple orchard was spared.The tree in the picture looks loaded and ready for the picking.
Your husband is riding a beautiful horse.
JB
It has been a horrid fire season. Hopefully we are done with that for the year.
I love the last picture!!
Those fires are so scary! I know my MIL was awfully close to the first in Sanpete county and it was pretty terrifying for her. She still has nightmares.
Sandy
So sad to hear all those beautiful acres burned. So many fires this year. Scary.
We had some property of ours burn once. It was sad, but fascinating too. We liked to go back every year and see what had managed to grow from the ashes. I also read about your DILaws shower and your sons birthday. I loved the pictures. I can't wait to see pictures of the real babies when they come!
So glad no one got hurt with the fire. It is always awful when things like that happen
I'm thinking of you and hoping for the rains to return to green up your hills and get all of us out of this year's fire season. Were your hills tree covered or was it brush that burned? I was wondering because of the lack of blackened tree trunks in the photos that you posted. Take care.
How sad that all those acres of land burned. Utah had so many fires this past summer as well. That is funny that the horses noticed that something was "amiss"
Glad you and the hub's are able to get out riding.
Woah. That's a lot of burnage. 700 acres?!?!
The fires have been crazy this year. The day we came over White Pass to Yakima there was a fire very near the road. The firefighters were actually stationed along the road in one spot on the ready to put out spot fires. Very scary.
It makes me smile knowing that they saved as much as they did. :)
Wow! 700 acres and no one was hurt? That is amazing and such a blessing. Love the picture of the horse shadows. I love being back to your blog! It's been too long!
oh my gosh..i cannot even image! our firefighters are heroes.
your horseback photos are so interesting...I cannot even image using a horse for transportation...I just finished the book Half Broken Horses.
The damage fires do is so sad and so scary when you're witnessing them.
so terrifying. my biggest fear here in texas. last year we had the worst drought on record. this year it has spread to other areas of the country. i am glad you and your neighbors were not harmed by this fire, but too close for comfort.
thank you for stopping in this week and leaving a comment at my place! really appreciate it! be safe and be happy!
So sorry to hear about the fire that affected your riding trails. And your horses are very smart that they are all, "Dude, where's my trail?" And I think it's awesome that your hubby is your riding partner. I said to my husband just the other day, "We should take up horseback riding!" and then we looked at each other and said, "Let's not..." What can I say, those gorgeous creatures scare me.
I love the silhouette picture with you guys on the horses!
Post a Comment