Wednesday, June 22, 2016

An apple a day.....

The beautiful orchards and plentiful fruit is one 
of the reasons I love the valley we live in.
 This particular apple orchard is trending the new
way to produce fruit.
They train the branches to grow on trellises.
I love the neat and tidy look.
This neighboring orchard is still sporting the
traditional look.
Back in the day orchardist used an oil burning device called 
smudge pots to prevent frost on the fruit trees.  
They're kinda outdated and are being replaced
with windmills/orchard fans.
 The fan system circulates air to help keep the trees from being damaged during the flowering season
 due to cold temperatures.
As I continued to ride along the orchards, I saw
an old tree.
It made me happy to think even in its
old age, it can still produce life.
The apples are still young and won't be 
ready for harvest until the fall.
I also came across some wild untamed
apple trees. I'm sure they were once 
cared for, but now the fruit is useless.
My horse and I stayed clear of these bee hives.
The bees were very busy buzzing around.
It was truly a beautiful ride I even met some friendly people along the way.
As my horse and I were passing a driveway, a man asked if he could go get his son to see me.
I'm like sure, how old is your son?
10 months he said.
A minute later he came out with his baby, wife and older son.
The little baby smiled when he saw the horse.
Then the guy asked if they could get a picture of their little son sitting on the horse with me.
Um, ok sure.
They handed me their boy and just as she was snapping the photo the little guy started to cry.
Not wanting to traumatize the boy, I handed him back to his dad and the mom said,
'That's so unusual, he doesn't normally cry."
I sorta suggested perhaps its because I'm a total stranger on
a large animal....just maybe.
Anyway, they thanked me non the less and 
away I went.



6 comments:

Birdie said...

I am new here from Hannah's blog. I clicked your link because you said you lived in the Pacific Northwest. I live on Vancouver Island. :-)

I live in a city that was once farms so there are a lot of wild fruit trees in and out of private property. The sad thing is almost none of the fruit is actually picked and just rots. My husband has offered to pick fruit for people in exchange for 1/2 but he gets turned down. When he checks back later it has rotted.

Cute story about the baby. ;-)

a writing place said...

"the mom said,
'That's so unusual, he doesn't normally cry."


Duhhhhhhh... *Brain Dead Mother*!!!! Duhhhhh.... Do someone a requested favor, and they turn around and make you sound like the one "Weirdo" the baby has come across.

Duhhhhhhhhhhh... People!!!!!

Tessa

Gayle said...

Sounds like you really enjoyed your ride through and around the orchards. Made me remember a visit to Flathead Lake in Montana. It's considered the Banana Belt and there are oodles of cherry orchards there. As picking season approaches, they worry about dew and rain splitting the fruit and ruining the crop, so they use helicopters to hover over the trees and dry the moisture. Makes for quite a sight!

This N That said...

We use smudge pots here as well..I guess all fruit growing orchards do..It's great to see a thriving Bee Hive.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

How beautiful. Interesting that a fruit tree produces useless fruit...hmmmm, where have I read that before.

I love seeing the smudge pots.

Poor little guy. You must have been a true novelty!

a writing place said...

I'm back again... :-) To say Thank You, for your comment on my latest post. :-)

Proud to be Patriotic hugs,
Tessa