Sunday, May 16, 2010

Techno Mom

As I watched General Conference, something said in one of the talks made me giggle to myself. Elder Ballard made a reference to mothers on how they may not be a whiz at texting, probably thinking even though they may not be hip or up on modern technology, young daughters should still turn to them when it comes to matters of the heart and things of the Lord.

His comment was thoughtful and he meant well but if he had asked for a show of hands as to how many moms knew how to text and are actually a whiz at it, I'm sure he would have been very surprised to see every woman in that room raise their hand.

That's right, it's the day and age where you can text your husband in the middle of the afternoon and ask him to pick up something at the store for you before he comes home. Things like milk, bread, tampons, heck you could even add dinner to the list. After all, we've been busy getting the kids off to school and blogging all day. Seriously, who has time to cook?

For me personally, I learned how to text once my boys had cell phones. If they wouldn't answer when I called them, you can bet your bottom dollar I would follow up with a text, "Where are you and why haven't you answered your phone!" Only to receive a message back, "I'm in the movies and will call later."

In church one Sunday just as the service was getting under way, I noticed one of my boys, who got up to wait for a friend, never came back into the chapel. This particular son was a bit on the naughty side as well as his friend and I was not about to let his absence go unnoticed. I quietly whipped out my cell phone and sent him a text that he better get in here NOW!
The message I received back was, "Mom, you shouldn't be texting, your chasing away the Spirit." Oh he's a funny one, and just as I was about to get up, I saw the two delinquents saunter in and my son was sporting his cute little smile.

Yeah, that kid knew how to get his mama's goat, but at least I know how to text and trust me, it became my new best friend.

8 comments:

Kristina P. said...

My husband and I often text each other when we are in the same room.

I posted a piece I submitted on MMB last month, about tips for a healthy marriage, and texting is definitely in the list!

the fowlers said...

it scares me to think about technological advancements by the time ellie is a teenager. she's going to need a cell phone before she's six!

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

*bowing my head in shame*
I... I... I don't really know how to text! And my husband doesn't want to pay for it so, he says I'm not allowed to text.

*sniff*

Mary said...

Ha! You have funny kids.

Anonymous said...

AWESOME! I keep trying to get my husband to sign up for texts, but he won't. I'm stuck to calling him and having to actually TALK to him if I need something from the store. BOR-ING! (I'm totally kidding about the boring part, just so we're clear :-) )

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, alas, I am such a slow texter! The picture texting comes in very handy though! You are so funny my sister!!

Anonymous said...

You said it--I started texting at exactly the same time, teenagers answer texts better than the phone. I actually use mine in the morning from my bed to make sure my son is up for seminary. Then I get up and take him. I love texting.

Braden Bell said...

Hi Saimi,

Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday! I laughed at this post. I'm the same way. I don't like texting, but it's handy to say, "I don't care if they are just staring the movie, get out to the car now!"

You teach pre-school? Bless you. That would be really hard. I would need a lot more than a clam voice to relax after doing that, I'm afraid!